Selecting which communities and activities suit us best can be difficult but there's no harm in trying a good handful at least before deciding where we feel most at home. We should not only look for an environment that aligns with our interests, competencies, and values but also one that supports our lifestyle, our sense of purpose, and the fulfilment of our potential. As well, it is important that we engage in social activities which leave a positive impact on our community or the lives of others. While conventional recreational societies and clubs often engage in these sorts of activities, volunteering for a local agency or community project that specifically aims to improve the lives of others is a worthwhile pursuit in its own right. These activities and communities not only leave us fulfilled and happy but they also contribute positively to the people they serve and represent an opportunity for us to grow our sense of service and character.
Sharing these spaces with people we care about is also important. Inviting our friends, family, and other community members to join our clubs and activities gives us a chance to share with them the experience of interests and pastimes that are important to us. This can help them understand, identify with, and connect with us in a more meaningful way. The simple act of doing something meaningful together fosters stronger, deeper bonds of affection and camaraderie. Social clubs and activities represent the opportunity to grow, therefore, through their opportunities to challenge ourselves, serve others and build character.
We can contemplate our involvement in Social Activities and Clubs by considering the following questions:
- Do I feel that social activities are good for my mental health and wellness?
- Do I take responsibility for myself and show care for others when I am attending events or participating in club activities?
- Do others consider me to bring good judgement to any situation and to be a positive member of the activities and club I join?
- Do I volunteer for a service or community agency, project, or initiative that makes a positive difference in the lives of others?
- Do I encourage a diverse range of people and friends to join in the activities which I enjoy and value?